Return to Madness.
- Do not "make a deal" with your competitor to "share" prize money before the final game. There is no second place, live with it. (This does not include partnerships created to submit one bracket.)
- No more paper entries. Internet only. $20 is due before
the first game (not including the "play-in" game). Preferably by Wednesday night.
- "Play-in" game. There is a so-called "play-in" game between the two worst
teams in the field to see who gets the 16th seed to play the 1 seed. This
is two days before the tourney starts. (It's in Dayton, 3/13/07, pitting
Florida A&M vs. Niagara.) If the winner of the play-in game loses to the 1
seed, then it won't matter. If the winner of the play-in game beats the
1 seed, it will only matter if you picked this upset. And you won't be able
one of the two play-in teams; there will be only one entity for both. (I
know, it's confusing--it'll make more sense when the pairings are announced.)
- Scoring is 2-2-3-4-5-6. E.g., 2 points for correct first and second round
picks, 3 for third round, etc... until 6 points for the champion.
- No second place. If there is a tie, sole tie-breaker will be total
correct number of picks.
- Please proofread your picks! It is much easier if you fill one out on paper
first before you fill out the on-line one. (The on-line sheet will be available
soon after selection Sunday.)
- No whining.
- Did I mention there is no second place?
- Update sheets are unofficial. If you think I've made a mistake in your picks,
let me know immediately. I reserve the right to make honest mistakes,
but after the championship game I won't make any changes.
- I'll have updates as soon as possible.
- And of course, my personal favorite-Decisions of the rules committee are
- Be sure to see the Format page for more information
on how this works.
- For information see http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~gavenda/madness
March 13, 2000
Last modified 03/12/07 12:26 pmg